Can I travel to Corfu with a baby? Is Corfu a child friendly holiday destination?
Corfu, the evergreen island of Greece, is undeniably one of the best islands in Greece for family holidays. There are so many villages and beachess to explore, and activities to do, which can keep the family busy for at least two weeks!
Below, you can find some useful tips to make your life easier when travelling to Corfu with your baby or child.
It is always recommended to have travel insurance and locate the closest doctor to your holiday accommodation. There is a local surgery in most of the major holiday resorts. Many shops for mothers’ equipment can be found in Corfu town, a Prenatal shop is also located close to Corfu airport.
Flying to Corfu with a baby
First of all, you need to check passport and airline rules and inform your doctor regarding your travel plans. When you are good to go, you can book your flights. Choose priority boarding and security, and prefer an aisle seat at the front of the plane if possible. This will make your life easier when you need to get up to walk or change the baby.
Pack light, have travel insurance and locate the closest doctor to your holiday accommodation. There is a local surgery in most of the major holiday resorts. Many shops for mothers’ equipment can be found in Corfu town, a Prenatal shop is also located close to Corfu airport.
Best area in Corfu for family holidays?
The shape of Corfu resembles a sickle and is one of the most beautiful and romantic islands of Greece. It has a lot to explore and satisfy the interest of every type of traveler. The most convenient way to explore Corfu with your baby is by hiring a car. In order to avoid long drives, we recommend you choose a tourist resort in the middle of the island. This way you will be able to reach the farthest points from your hotel with one hour drive.
An amazing place for children as well as grown-ups is Aqualand resort. One of the largest and most amazing Waterparks in Europe! Aqualand is also open to non-residents, however if you decide to stay at the Aqualand village you can also have free access to the waterpark. More information can be found HERE
Hiring a Car in Corfu
In our fleet you can find all types of rental cars. Many of the island’s roads are twisty and narrow and parking in Corfu town can be a pain. The size of the car you will need, depends on the equipment you need to carry with you. However, the smaller the easier to drive around and park.
Do babies need a car seat in Greece?
Children under 12 years of age should or 1,35m height use the appropriate car sear when travelling by car.
In our extra equipment you can find infant, baby and booster seats. A smart solution is to use a baby carrier. This way you can save the boot space taken by a stroller. Need to try one? Ask us! Another good solution is to use a modular system where your baby seat will fit on your stroller. Need one? Ask us!
Our extra equipment includes -apart from the seat- a car window shade and a “baby in car” sign!
Sun in Greece can be very strong during summer months. Remember to carry a sunscreen special for babies. When hiring a car in Corfu by Rolandos, our extra equipment for babies and children also includes sun shades which will keep your baby safe from the strong summer sun.
Keep children safe
Most of the children accidents accur in Summer. This is the season when children are free from school and have lots of free time, often unattended. In order to keep our children safe we need to know that:
- Swimming saves lives. Let’s teach our children how to swim from their first years of life,
- Never leave chldren unattended near water, even if they can swim,
- Never trust inflated objects for the children’s safety,
- Do not let children swim after meals,
- Swimming in rough sea is dangerous,
- Always protect children with special life vests when taking part in water sports or are on board,
- Teach children to ensure water is deep before they dive
At the pool:
- Pools need to follow all safety regulations, especially if children will be using it.
- Pay special attention to slippery pool areas.
Fauna in Corfu, Greece
Accidents caused by animals do not occur often, and even rarely can be deadly. However, when they do occur they are very unpleasant and cause phobias to the children which can follow them throughout their lives. In Corfu you will rarely witness dangerous wildlife, but often stray animals. It is important for children to follow some basic rules in order to avoid any unpleasant experience.
Animals usually attack when they are ill, when protecting their children or when feel in danger in general. Same happens with insects and reptiles. It is important to teach children that:
- When approaching strange animals we need to be calm and careful,
- Playing agressively close to the house’s dog might lead it to attack us, as it might feel owner is in danger,
- never approach animals which have little children,
- if we meet wild animals, we should only walk away calmly and not disturb them,
- never put hands under stones, as insects and reptiles usually live there during summer,
- we do not walk through high vegetation in summer. If we need to, we can make some noise with a stick in front of us,
- we never disturb bees, as they attack in swarms when they feel danger,